Monday 31 July 2017

Masters do you study them?

 Last weekend I was in the beautiful Queenstown area, deep in the South Island of New Zealand, running a photography workshop for the QCC. We had a great turn out and one of the members daughters came along to model for us on the Saturday morning. Weather was clear but cold, good winter conditions.
One of the subjects I covered was the masters and who I have been influenced by and why.
I showed them a small "you tube" video of Joe Mc Nally at work, the amount of time and effort that goes into the smallest detail to make sure that the image is right. They all enjoyed it. We also talked about other masters, I gave them my list of masters who have up to now influenced me in many ways, do you have a list, do you look at other photographers work, do you get inspiration.
Write down why they influence and inspire you, what is it about their style of photography, their approach to a subject matter, their presentation of their images, their workflow.
 We can all learn from other artists not just photographers, for me I have gained a lot of influence and joy from the work of Hieronymus Bosch an artist slightly different from the normal during his artistic career. Salvador Dali has also been inspirational, especially in the shape and feel of my many clocks that float around my Storytellers Imagination series. 
The wonders of the internet allow us a look at many different masters in many different styles of art. Use it.


3 comments:

  1. Yeah Scott Fowler is a great creative influence in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I am a great fan of NZ Photograher, the late Robin Morrison. Simple, uncomplicated images, usually centrally positioned in image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments and Alan Wilson your kind words are gratefully received.

    ReplyDelete