Tuesday 18 July 2017

Photography Clubs



 So why should I join a club.
It is a great place to meet like minded photographers and hopefully meet more experienced ones, who are happy to help you advance your skill level. 
Most clubs have some sort of competitions each month, or several times a  month depending on the size of the club/society. One thing I feel is often overlooked is the problem of Analysis paralysis that happens for new members entering competitions. We enter with encouragement from others, we go to the judging and no one explains  what is going to happen, what the judge might say about my image. They might hate it, rubbish the content and even suggest that it is someone else art work, the first image, was judged this way, because the judge had never seen anything like it before, it must be a picture of someone else work, I was gutted, it is the virgin Mary in the roll cage at Mc Murdo station. I tried again with the second image and got honours, I was happy. The third image was not accepted as the judge believed the image was pixelated, he was not aware of grain in B&W. All these years later and many many Non Acceptances later,  I just laugh about it. If i was not of the nature I am, I would have left the club in 2008 after the first competition and never entered another competition.
I do not know if clubs do this, would it not be a good idea to have a support type person to sit with a newbie and help them understand the judging to help reduce the Analysis paralysis that often happens. All judges as with clubs are not created equal, lets support new competitors to make the experience educational not a death sentence. I strongly believe competitions are a healthy thing to do in a club as well as Internationally, if for nothing else but the catalogues.

6 comments:

  1. It happens to all of us. When I joined at the encouragement of another photographer. I couldn't believe the high level of work that was entered and didn't enter any for ages. I was encouraged to just put stuff in. I think the words we "just put shit in". I didn't put much in but watched the judging of other's works. I saw a few that I really liked and watched and listened to a "Scottish git". Did one of his courses and was away laughing and doing pretty well. I still put in "shit" but learn from it all the same. i still get paralysed on occasions and care too much. I am thankful to this Scottish git called Scott Fowler. Gratitude in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you from the Scottish git, I do believe you do pretty well it is the ones who need the extra encouragement I worry about. I do believe it is a service sort of clubs should offer members?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right Scott, for those of us who dont care what others think of our work, we do it for our appreciation, so it doesn't matter. For people new to photography, this can be a daunting prospect, especially when they may have taken months to pluck up the courage to put an entry in. I believe the Southland Photographic Society does this well. We wont get it right all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as the club, society make an effort towards newbies thst is a good thing. Than you for yor comment Les

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's not a bad idea at all Scott, to walk the new ones through the processes of judging, to help them understand and ready images for competitions. Wise words as always.

    ReplyDelete