Friday 11 August 2017

Why are we so hard on ourselves?





Why are we so hard on ourselves?
Why do we look for approval from others?
Are we not individual artists who create work that comes from within.
I am currently reading a book by Terry Barrett, "Criticizing Photographs" it discussed the responsibilities of being a critic, how to write a critique of an artists work, I feel it is a must read for all so called experts/critics, who are happy to criticize a persons work/teachings, yet never really advance their own work.

Yet are happy to be negative without giving constructive feedback.
Barrett says"I believe that discussion of meaning is more important than pronouncements of judgement and that interpretation is the most important  and rewarding aspect of criticism".
I often wonder if a sense of jealousy exists with the often harsh criticism for individuals about what or how you do something. As a teacher I get the greatest satisfaction from my students doing well and getting recognition for the art they are producing.
As I have often said,  be confident in your abilities to produce work that is new and interesting. Why beat yourself up, there is enough people out there happy to do that for you.

www.scottfowlerworkshops.com











2 comments:

  1. Scott I so agree with you. As a photographer striving for conceptual work I believe that the artist's angst is inherent in all those who strive to improve their work and are unsure whether other's will understand or approve of their work.

    ReplyDelete