Saturday 16 September 2017

Bleached the bones of countless millions

On the plains of hesitation, bleached the bones of countless millions, who at the dawn of victory sat down to wait and in waiting died.---- George w Cecil
I often say in my head the saying above, for me it is about procrastinating, do not just think about it do it, or are you going to be another pile of bleached bones next to the million others.  We should just do it, get out there and take images.  If it moves you to look at it why not capture that nano second in time that will never be repeated.
Last night I was involved in a light hearted debate with regards to the value of shooting RAW Vs JPEG. An interesting discussion held at a clubs 60th Anniversary, part of the entertainment one could say. I understand that some parts of a professional photographers life demands he or she shoots JPEG, I get that, most of these ladies and gentlemen are on a time constraint, to get the image to the early edition for example. They have often spent many many years honing there skill level to know what to do and often have the best equipment that money can buy. On the other hand an amateur usually does not have the same time restraints or demands and has the time to lets say play with their images, would it not then be better to shoot RAW and have all the information available or am I missing something here.
Memory card are not expensive anymore, external hard drives can be cheap, look out for sales. I see a RAW image as the recipe of my work, the image I have captured which I can then use as much or as little of the information in the recipe as I want, where as a JPEG the  camera makes critical decisions on my image and decided how it should look not me, the camera, why would I want some computer who has not lived a second of my life telling the story of my vision, NO thank you.
As I have said in many of my blogs it is still your choice, at one time yes RAW conversion could seem daunting, I do not feel it is anymore, YOU just have to give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment