Friday 22 September 2017

To process or not!

To process or not!


( the images on this blog have been changed from RAW to JPEG, no playing was done by ME in the processing of these images, all the computers own work!They were all shoot RAW 2008 and converted to JPEG 2 days ago)

Recently I got a comment on Facebook, here is the comment- "Explain to me why a photo has to be modified in your Workshop. Come on Natural is real so why change it unless you don't have the expertise to take the real shot" Harsh words, one might say!

I thought to myself what is "Natural", does the author mean straight out of the camera, if so I have bad news for them, there is no such thing as "Natural". I am making an assumption here that the natural photographer is not talking about shooting in the nude, but they mean JPEG which in my mind is an anagram for -"Just Pray Everything's Good".  You press the shutter, the camera sensor collects all the data in RAW format, then if you have it set to JPEG format it will do a whole bunch of predetermined adjustments to your image and gives you a JPEG image, your image has been processed, the camera has done it, it is not "NATURAL".

 The "Natural Image" has been altered twice on this image's way: first, it was perceived by the sensor in its own way, and second, it was optimized by the in-camera software. Post-processing is often necessary to correct the camera's mistakes and let photos look realistic. Software post-processing is not only for making photos more vivid, its original goal is to make them realistic!

The choice to process your images, is a personnel choice, the same as, do you shoot RAW or do you Just Pray Everything's Good. DO you post process using Photoshop or the likes, do you print and what printer do you use, what paper do you like. 
The other part of the question was directed at my workshops, I only give a helping hand where and when asked for, it is not a prerequisite to post process your images, or to shoot RAW, as I always say it is YOUR choice, however make sure you have all the information so that YOU can make an informed choice, not because some so called expert says so. As for taking a good shot, I like them and that is all that matters, The "natural photographer" well I have not seen his images so I could not possibly comment!
Remember you can enjoy one on one time with me at one of my many workshops.
www.scottfowlerworkshops.com 

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree Scott. You have to remeber that images were "developed" in the dark room. They were also manipulated to correct lighting, contrast, clarity and low and behold they used dodge and burn to correct areas that they made in camera to make it look close to what they imagained the photograph looked like. They cropped, double printed too out bits and added bits to get the images they wanted. We can do the same in photoshop, lightroom, Nik, DXO, ON 1 etc. Making artistic choices to develop our style in Photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree Cheryl, I think it was a can I say it jealous individual, who sees someone doing well and has to put a negative dig in, but who knows, thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete